Accounting for 66% of packaging industry sales, the agri-food sector is Europe's leading consumer of packaging. It also the most strictly regulated sector, with statutory requirements to be met at every stage in the production to consumption chain. In this context, LNE focuses both on materials and objects intended for contact with food and on all kinds of packaging: unit packaging, sales packaging, bulk packaging and transport packaging.
LNE's standard services
Checking sensory inertia
of food contact materials
- Health safety and food compatibility of materials and packaging: assessment of global and specific migration, measurement of residual monomers and solvents, identification and analysis of taint flavours transmitted by packaging
[More information ] (french pdf - 85 kB),
- Hygiene and HACCP assessment assessment of packaging: certification, audit, microbiological assessment of packaging materials in partnership with the hygiene and analysis institute ISHA...)
[More information ] (french pdf - 975 kB),
- Characterization of materials: sensory analysis, permeability tests (water vapour, gases, aromas), dimensional characteristics, mechanical resistance tests, etc.
- Simulation of stresses in the transport and distribution circuit
- Analysis of content behaviour in mechanical and climatic environments
- Evaluation of product fragility in order to optimize packaging.
- draw up functional design specifications for your packaging
- perform the analyses required for authorization by French food safety agency AFSSA
- issue product and system certification (BRC/IoP, FEFCO, LNE Emballage, NF and LNE ISO 22000)
on a freezer bag
- LNE is a national reference laboratory for materials in contact with foodstuffs, working in association with France's consumer affairs and fraud control office DGCCRF.
- Its assessors act as official experts for the French courts.
- Its experts advise the "Materials in contact with foodstuffs" committee of French food safety agency AFSSA.
- It is approved by the French foreign trade centre CFCE to test materials intended for contact with foodstuffs prior to their export to Japan.
- It is approved by France's consumer affairs and fraud control office DGCCRF to perform food compatibility tests on materials.
- It is certified by the International Safe Transit Association (ISTA).
- It is certified by the European Flexible Intermediate Bulk Container Association (EFIBCA).
Analysis of migrants
in materials, objects and packaging
- Specific migration:
- development of analytical techniques for measuring substances contained in materials and liable to migrate to food
- Chemical contamination:
- development of decision-making tools to control the risk of chemical contamination from plastic materials in contact with food
- Packaging hygiene and microbiology:
- development of methods for assessing the microbiological quality of materials and packaging intended for contact with food
- Active and "smart" food packaging:
- studies to assess the potentialities of active antimicrobial packaging for preserving fresh foods
- Food preservation:
- innovative non-thermal processing technologies to improve the quality and safety of ready-to-eat meals (High-Q RTE, STREP PCRD6)
- Food quality and safety:
- traditional United Europe food (Improving quality and fostering innovation of European traditional food production systems) - TrueFood (IP, PCRD6)